[FC] Check your brake hose

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 12:45:01 EDT 2006

Doug,

  Early FCs had this problem and were fitted with a holdback spring by dealers to keep the hose away from the tires. My rampside had the rusty remains of this setup when I purchased it. When installing hoses, it is possible to rotate them slightly to keep them away from the tires. Watch them closely while somebody turns the wheels lock to lock to look for binding or interference. I think the current hoses are a little shorter to help prevent the rubbing you described.

  Good Luck,
  Bill Wells
  61 Rampside
  62 Greenbrier

Doug Bell <doug.bell3 at comcast.net> wrote:
  Almost went to Corvair Heaven the other day. All of a sudden the pedal went to the floor while trying to make a stop. Luckily I had enough room to pull over to the left and use the emergency brake.
Discovered that my front driver side tire had, over time, worn a hole in the hose.
So, how does one keep the hose from rubbing? One hose is longer than the other. Which hose goes on the driver side?
Is there a clamp attached to the hose to keep it away fron the tire and if so where does it attach to the body? My master cylinder drained dry as a result. Should I replace it too? Thanks for the help.
Doug Bell
Corsa Oregon
61 Rampside
63 coupe