[FC] timepiece

robert wilson scwilson8126 at wowway.com
Thu Mar 9 21:53:50 EST 2006

If you find one that doesn't work, you can take the electric clock mechanism
out and replace it with a battery-operated quartz replacment.

I found one in the clock-making section of a local craft store (Michaels)
for about $14.00.  It was the smallest one I could find (1-3/4"?) and runs
on a AAA battery.

You have to take apart the clock and carefully pry the black face with the
numbers from the old clock.

Trim the plastic (file or scrape with a knife) around the outside perimiter
of the quartz clock and test-fit until it fits tight enough inside the bezel
to hold the crystal and stay in place.

Then glue the clock face to the quartz movement.  Finally, paint the
clock-hands that come with the clock with a couple of light coats of
Testor's flourescent red or orange.  I had to trim the outside tips of the
hands slightly as they were too long.

Install the clock-hands in place and put it all back together.

It took a couple of hours and a lot of test-fitting, but I now have a
stock-looking clock on the dash of my '63 Convertible with the reliability
of a quartz movement.