[FC] best tire/rim for fc

Rad Davis rad.davis at comcast.net
Sat Mar 25 23:38:13 EST 2006

What you've got:

a Chevy pickup front suspension and swing axles in the rear.  Swing axles,
in particular, don't much like square tread cross-sections, because the
axles roll off the tread onto the edge during extremes in suspension
position.  The suspension was designed for a relatively narrow (6 or 7
inch) tread patch with some crowning.  If you want to get away from this,
you'd better limit suspension travel first, or you can get into some
unpleasant places on the slip angle curve.

So the question is: what do you want, what are you willing to give up, and
how much are you willing to spend?

If you're planning on driving the van a lot on the road or when loaded,
you'd be well-served to stick with a stockish sort of tire and wheel.  This
doesn't mean that you can't go lower profile or wider, but you'll give away
ride quality and handling beyond a certain point.  Then there's also the
very practical consideration that there's not a huge amount of space in the
wheel wells on an FC.

The stock tire made metric works out to something like a 195-80-14.  If you
do a standard plus 1 to it, you get something like a 205 or
225-70-15.  Sure enough, these work well and are widely available since
things like Caprices, Crown Vics, and light trucks take them.  They also
are about the same diameter as the stock tires, so the speedometer and
gearing are about what you expect.  As for wheels, light truck or caprice
rims do the trick nicely.

You can go further to something like a 225-60-16, but the tread
cross-sections get really square.  This is fine as long as you're not doing
autocross or pushing around off-ramps lightly loaded.  If you expect to be
using all the suspension, though, things can get scary.  It doesn't take
all that much persuasion to make a Greenbrier swap ends if everything is
right.  If you're running a dumb tire and wheel combo, it's just a matter
of time.

The other side of this is that if you pick your tires and rims right,
everything gets much BETTER than with a stock wheel and tire.  My
Greenbrier (i'm running caprice rims and tires) has better handling, a
better ride, and better crosswind immunity than a stock one because of the
reduced sidewall height and more rubber on the road.  The bigger wheels
look (I think) better on the van than the stock ones do.  And it costs very
little for both wheels and tires.

Have fun...

Rad Davis:                                        rad.davis at comcast.net
Corvairs--65, 66 Corsa coupes, '65 'brier Deluxe   http://www.corvair.org/
Keeper of the Forward Control Corvair Primer:
http://www.mindspring.com/~corvair/fc1.html
"We did Nebraska in seven minutes today. I think that's probably the best
way to do Nebraska."                            --Brian Shul, _Sled Driver_