[FC] test stand

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Mon May 8 09:12:01 EDT 2006

Guys
I have built the motor test stand that is illustrated in the tech guide. It was designed by a member of Texas corvairs back in the 80's & allows an engine to be run in and proofed before being installed in a vehicle. My problem is that I make all the connection like the wiring diagram, but the thing will not crank the way it is supposed to. I am using jumper cables to attach the battery to the starter motor and the the ground connection, and the thing tries to crank ;- turns over very slowly and the cable get very hot to the point where they get soft. also, the thing starts cranking when the last cable is connected, it does not matter if I have the starter button pressed the only way to stop the slow cranking is to disconnect the jumper cables. What is wrong?
Tim
'65 monza vert
'61 rampy in group red