[FC] Granny Transmission

James Davis jld at wk.net
Tue May 9 00:05:54 EDT 2006

It is an old post but it still works.  The trans with 4.26 were only
installed in Rampsides and early 61 Rampsides at that. .  All other
61 - 63 FC's and cars have the 3.65 first gear.
Jim Davis

re: 4 speed side cover transmission ID

If it has a drain plug (faces the rear by the diff) or a 12 spline input
shaft, it is a 61-3

No drain plug or 14 spline input shaft = 64-5

Look at the casting date on the left side just rear of the shifter, last
digit = year

64-5 better 2nd gear shifting and durability, closer ratios, higher torque
capacity.

Now for the fun part: there were 3 different first gear configurations

Put it in first gear and install an input shaft, mark the top of the input
shaft and output shaft at 12 o'clock. (from neutral, gentle CCW and push in).
Rotate the input shaft CW three turns and continue to 2 o'clock.  If
the output
shaft mark has come up to exactly 12 o'clock, it's a 3.20:1 64-5 car.  If
not, continue CW to 7 o'clock. If the output shaft is at 12 now, it's a 3.65
first. If not continue CW, past 12 (four turns now) and on to 2 o'clock.  If
that's what it takes to get the output to the top then it's a 4.26:1
early FC trans.

4.26 early 61 fc
3.65 = all early cars and late 61 through 65 fc (sort out by input shaft
spline count)
3.20 64-5 cars

If it is a 14 spline 3.65 trans, you might have a buyer, (me)!
Craig Nicol