[FC] help needed with radio....

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Wed May 17 23:42:28 EDT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Merv Krull
  To: corvanatics at corvair.org ; corvairs at cybrus.net
  Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:29 PM
  Subject: [FC] help needed with radio....

  Hi all!

  I set up a test bench to check out three radios, one from the GB, one from the 64 700, and one bought from an outdoor vendor at the CORSA convention in Portland last year.

  The radio from the GB worked fine in the vehicle. Now it does not.

  The radio from the 700 crackled and sounded feeble. It works great on the bench.  Possible bad ground to the radio.  Check ground and make sure antenna has a good ground at its base.

  The radio from the vendor.... just a soft pop when I turn the switch on and off.  Try some radio tuner cleaner on the tuner itself.  You can get a can at Radio Shack.  If that doesn't fix it, the there could be a defective transistor or some other component....

  There are some differences amongst these radios.

  The ones from the GB and the vendor have black push buttons and have a larger hole for the tuning dial with a dish device for the mounting nut which is about 1/2 behind the dash plate.

  Original GB radios didn't come with push buttons, so this must be a car radio that was installed in a GB.  The large coned washer was used on the earlier of the early models... don't remember exactly when they changed them, but believe that it was in 1964 when they went to a fully transistorized radio.

  The one out of the 700 has chrome push buttons and the chrome plate on the fascia is missing. The tuning dial goes through a small hole and the mounting nut is flush with the face plate in the dash.
  The Corvair never had a  radio that came with chrome knobs, so it must be from another vehicle.  If you send me the radio numbers, then I can tell you what they are from...... if I can find my list....  Paul in CT
  Any help would be appreciated!
  toodles
  Merv Krull
  Salmon Arm, BC