[FC] Window Felts?

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Nov 9 11:16:07 EST 2006

Hello Mike,

The material you are looking for is a fiber-coated, stiff rubber channel
used for the roll-up/down windows. It snaps into place in the metal
sub-channel inside of the door.  I obtained this replacement material for
our '65 Greenbrier from Corvair Underground.  In the spring 2004 I had
ordered a complete weatherstrip kit from Clark's. The kit came with the
correct rubber material for the front door windows but had the earlier
style metal/cloth channel for the side door/side panel windows.  I informed
Clark's of this situation so they may have made a change to their kit since
then.

The original rubber channel had a series of slots cut in the back side so
that it could be smoothly bent without puckering.  The reproduction, of
course, is a straight piece of material.  My body/trim man and I used a
razor knife to cut similar slots in the reproduction material using our
most intact original as a pattern.  The careful application of heat helped
smooth out the corners but a couple of them did not fit quite right.  It
seems that the originals were pressed or molded to get a smooth bend.

Could this substitution of window channel material be another of the many
mid-1963 changes to the FC vehicle line?

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI