[FC] brakes -

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 05:33:25 EST 2007

>3) Just want to confirm that the cap of the adjuster (opposite end of the threaded end) goes towards the front on the left side and the rear on the right.

with a little help from Tim C & Lonzo --

since '62's most likely had manually adjusted brakes as OEM, yes, the
star wheel goes to the rear on the right & front on the left, but make
sure it lines up with the slot in the baking plate in case they got
changed -- with auto adjusters, the star wheel is much finer toothed, in
the rear on all four, and two of them are left hand threads -- manuals
are all right hand on GM products.

but, it *could* have been converted to automatics somewhere along the
way ...

wavy lock washers can be found in some metric bolt selections, like old
Beetle (they were used under the head of the four engine mounting bolts)
-- should work for these apps as well if they can be found in the
correct size.  In Portland, OR, I would try Parkrose Hardware
(http://www.parkrosehardware.com/) or Parts Obsolete
(http://www.partsobsolete.com/) in McMinville -- of course, Corvair
Underground is also in McMinville ...

lots of vehicles operated safely for many years with these washers
having been swept up off the floor following a brake job and
subsequently re-installed in the garbage can.

I always thought the wavy washer on the e-brake arm belonged between the
arm and the shoe -- sure put a lot of them (all brands) back together
that way at least.

fwiw,

Bill S