[FC] Rampside (1962) Questions

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Feb 23 10:04:32 EST 2007

Comments in line:
On Feb 23, 2007, at 8:37 AM, Jonathan wrote:

>     What are common rust areas I should look out for?

Basically the lower perimeter.  The worst areas are usually around the
front doors.

>     This rampside has a 4-speed.  I've read that the shift pattern is
> up-down vs. forward-rearward.  Is this true?  How's that feel and
> work?                  I've also read that the linkage is rubbery and
> vague....is that true too?

This is the early shifter, Jim Davis wrote a nice procedure that I have
here:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/shifter.html

>     I think the truck has the original motor.  I know they are
> somewhat different than car motors, but if I wanted to put a car 110
> in the                         Rampside, would that work or would it
> not be tough enough for the weight of the vehicle.  I plan on pleasure
> driving the truck and carrying light     loads. No towing.

A car 110 will work fine, lots of folks use them.  There are a few
detail differences on the FC engines for durability (valve rotators,
for one), but the change you'll really notice is the oil filler.  If
you do this, be careful that it doesn't detonate, you can't hear
pinging very well when you're driving.

>     If I go look at this Rampside, what common problem areas should I
> pay attention too: motor, tranny, suspension, body, etc.?

Rear wheel bearings are tough to find.  The "boomerang" on the steering
is difficult as well.  The driveline is mostly just like a car.  There
really aren't a lot of problem areas that always break, just look out
for rust.

--Bryan