[FC] Rampside (1962) Questions

Jonathan jwhalen at gra.midco.net
Fri Feb 23 08:37:21 EST 2007

Good Morning:

I'm new to this list, but not to Corvairs in general.  I have a '65 Corsa I hope to get on the road this summer, and have owned another '65 Corsa and '66 500 in the past.

My question concerns Rampsides.  I've always wanted one and have my eye on one that is being sold locally.  The problem is, I don't know that much about them.

I'm looking thru all my books and research material, and also browsing various web sites, but thought I'd post some questions here.

    What are common rust areas I should look out for?

    This rampside has a 4-speed.  I've read that the shift pattern is up-down vs. forward-rearward.  Is this true?  How's that feel and work?                  I've also read that the linkage is rubbery and vague....is that true too?

    I think the truck has the original motor.  I know they are somewhat different than car motors, but if I wanted to put a car 110 in the                         Rampside, would that work or would it not be tough enough for the weight of the vehicle.  I plan on pleasure driving the truck and carrying light     loads. No towing.

    If I go look at this Rampside, what common problem areas should I pay attention too: motor, tranny, suspension, body, etc.?

I hope these questions aren't too annoying; any help would be appreciated.  The pictures of this Rampside look pretty good, and it's close by, so I'm definately interested in it.  They are asking $1500.00 which seem reasonable based on my observation of Ebay prices.  But, who knows what shape it's actually in.

Thanks for your time and help.

Jonathan