[FC] Greenbrier Alignment Settings? / brake leak - no rant

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 22 14:21:35 EST 2007

>I would like to lower the rear and fix the camber.
>Is there any drastic fixes like cutting frames or making a "camber kit"

First, as I said, it wasn't a great day, and second, the topic is a pet
peeve that I just don't understand. Probably 'cause I have a history of
buying tires in person rather than mail-order. Great idea, Bryan, but
alcohol and diabetes just don't mix well.

Next, there is a current thread on VV about a fuel leak problem that has
a lot of good info about inverted flare fittings -- one place where the
fuel and brake lines have something in common -- esp the post by Frank.

Lowering a swing axle suspension -- since you want to probably try and
keep wide tires pretty close to square with the pavement both for tread
wear and appearance, that means keeping that axle horizontal -- to lower
the vehicle and keep the axle horizontal, basically you have to raise
the differential, which, in a Corvair, means you have to raise the
drivetrain and the rear crossmember, which means you'd probably also
have to raise the rear deck area, ie drop the body down over the
drivetrain, sorta like 'channeling' (as in 'chopped and channeled')  --
yeah, drastic major surgery. Or, you could convert over to a half-shaft
style suspension like in a Late Model -- means you have to find a new
place for springs or a strut tower. Or you get smaller wheels/tires
where the center of the wheel is yea much lower than what you have now.
Maybe one could adapt the gear boxes from the end of the axles from an
old VW Transporter -- turned upside down, they should lower about the
same amount that they raised the old Transporters. I think they sell
these new in the VW aftermarket for buggie use.  Anyway, you'd probably
also have to do some bodywork to the wheel well opening, too, and that
is where I drew the line cause I like the way they look just the way
they are in terms of the sculpture on the body sides -- I like Earlies, too.

Bill Strickland