[FC] front sway bar install

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Wed Jul 4 09:37:54 EDT 2007

Hello Ben,

At 19:19 7/3/07 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey gang-
>
>A question. I had one of Ken Hand's front suspension upgrades installed.
>The spring and shock make the van ride super nice, but I now have a
>problem with my previouslt installed ADDCO sway bar.
>
>Since the crossmember is now closer to the sway bar (KEn's components
>lower the van three or four inches), the sway bar sometimes bottoms out on
>the crossmember. I am getting little say bar shaped dimples to prove this.

Looking at my own front ADDCO bar installed on our '65 GB I have to assume
that the crossmember you are referring to is the forward main body
"outrigger" from the center frame rail near where the bar is mounted.  This
piece makes the bottom rear portion of the front wheel well.

>Is it possible to bolt the ends of the sway bar "below" the angle attached
>to the a-arm between the two rubber bushings? Right now each side's end is
>bolted "above" the angle attached to the a-arm. My theory is that by
>lowering the ends of the bar, it would be more out of the way of the
>crossmember.

Yes, this change should work; just reverse all of the parts to the
bottom.  The bar should function the same.  How were the "L" brackets on
the A-arms mounted, normal (as in the letter L) or inverted?  I could see
that there would be a clearance issue if they are inverted.  If you move
the bar to the bottom of the brackets and still need more room, then it
would be simple matter to get some "sway bar end links" from your nearby FLAPS.

>I just had the van aligned. If this is do-able, will this throw it out of
>alignment? Can I do this change at home, or does it need to be on a lift
>with the weight off of the front suspension, etc?

Properly installed, the ADDCO sway bar should have no effect on alignment
of the FC.  Likewise, the mounting change you propose should not make any
difference whatsoever.  I would try to do the work at home in the driveway
or garage.  It would be best to install the bar with the suspension loaded
at normal ride height.  Therefore, leave the wheels on and just wiggle
under the car or drive up on some wood blocks or ramps if you need more
elbow room.  Think safety!!

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI