[FC] Progress on the GB...

Merv Krull krupross at sunwave.net
Sat Jul 14 19:19:44 EDT 2007

Well, after a solid two weeks of working in the freaking heat, I drove the GB down to Rainbow Glass to have all the side and rear windows put back in. Rear quarter side windows popped back in with some judicial nudging and poking and shoving and levering and a great deal of sweat. Definitely a two person job, with at least one of them who knows what they are doing! Trevor had never done one like this before, but you would never guess that. He seemed to have good intuition about how it should go. Rear windows popped in in a matter of seconds.
The fuzzy channels for the roll down windows is another story. Trevor wrecked on channel just like I had wrecked one previously. Luckily, the owner stepped in on the second day (only worked two hours each morning before it got over 37 in the shade!) and carefully, very carefully, nudged them into near correct shape.... just waiting for two new channels to come to finish that job.

It has been two years since I last drove it.

I cant remember removing all the shocks. I didnt, but it felt like it.
New Monroe LTs are going in the rear soon. Then we'll see if the rear settles up higher than now because it looks pretty dumb with the front so high. May need to check out the Hand Front Spring kit.

Soon after pulling into the glass shop, a small pool of oil began to collect on the floor dripping from the bell housing and probably over the exhaust pipe too on the muffler side. DAMN!
I am pretty sure I pulled did all the seals before sending it off to the auto body shop (two years ago).

Could the main seal be torn after not running for so long? Possibly the seal in the 'snout'?

Third thing I noticed was the sound of a sad old hound dog every time the clutch started to engage. OK with clutch pushed in all the way and when fully engaged.

I did not replace the release bearing or clutch disk as it was working fine two years ago.

So, I guess it is time to pull the powertrain out again and have a good looksee.... and put some new parts in. ......

Before Corvairitis Treatment Day August 10/11/12!!!!!!!!
(be there or be square!)

toodles
Merv Krull
Salmon Arm, BC