[FC] 1:64 Scale Corvan Resin Model Available

Ben's Bus bensbus at verizon.net
Tue Jun 26 08:05:51 EDT 2007

Corvanatics:

A recent trip to the local hobby shop to get some supplies for my American Flyer train layout yielded much more than train equipment. I was surprised to see, in their diecast car section, two new releases of Johnny Lightning's 1:64 Classic Gold series Corvair cars. One is release #34, a white '63 Chevy Corvair Monza Coupe. The other is Classis Gold R35, a metallic Honduras Maroon '63 Corvair Monza Convertible. While I snapped these new models up, I was pleasantly reminded of a 1:64 Corvan model I had at home in the office cabinet.

About a year ago on eBay, I bought a resin Corvan model kit. The reasons are obvious: it is an FC model, and it is 1:64 scale, the same as my American Flyer S gauge trains. I have not yet assembled the kit. The story of its production is that the maker has a brother with a Corvair van (Corvanatics member??) who complained that there are no good models of his vintage truck. So, they decided to do something about it. The history of the project is chronicled on the website. I recently e-mailed the gentlemen who produced it and asked if he planned to produce Greenbriers and/or Corvair pickup trucks. His response follows:

"I do have the cad files to have the vans made, but I really didn't get the level of interest I had hoped for from the Corvair community. I've also been trying to interest some diecast companies in the vans, without much interest from them either. So at this point there aren't any plans to further it. If that changes I'll be sure to let you know."

And upon my suggestion that I could get information about his project out to all of you FC lovers, he said this:

"I would more than happy for you to give the link out. To my knowledge I have not passed my link out to the Corvair Truck club. I think in part because Yahoo limits the number of hits the web site can get. So it might be unavailable at
times....you might want to warn people of that for my current site. If the project gets bigger I'll pay for a continued presence on the web. Thanks!

Regards,
Shawn"

So, without further ado, the weblink to Shawn's project is http://www.geocities.com/skitt1962/CorvairModelProject.html

While you go check out the link and buy one of these FC models for yourself, I guess I should go start putting mine together. Happy FC modeling!

Ben Stiles