[FC] Shocks

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri Mar 16 22:50:31 EST 2007

At 07:20 AM 3/16/07 -0700, Jim Forgey wrote:

>I want to put new shocks on my Brier before the summer
>season begins. I know people have mentioned various
>types before.
>
>Has anyone put Bilstein Shocks on their FC, and if so,
>was there a noticeable difference in ride quality...
>or does anyone have another type of shock that they
>would highly recommend for FC?

Yes, I have installed a set (part number B46-0925 -fits Dodge B100 van
front) on the front and rear of our '65 Greenbrier. They produce a very
firm, controlled ride--similar to my dad's '06 Grand Caravan--but with that
unique FC short wheelbase-long overhang feel. I should note that we also
have Ken Hand's modified front springs and Clark's C1661RP springs on the rear.

I found that the OD of the Bilstein shocks caused interference with the
"hole" in the rear suspension arms. I used a blunt punch in an air hammer
to slightly "open up" the holes. The lower mounting holes on the shock ears
may also need to be slotted to match the Corvair lower arm bolt spacing.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI