[FC] Diagnostic confirmation needed

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 08:26:54 EDT 2007

Garry,

  I would perform a compression check on that side before pulling it apart. If you have an adapter, pump some air in the spark plug hole and see where any air might be coming out.
  If all the plugs on that side are fouled, you have some major reversion in the intake. Intake valve related, it sounds to me.
  Remember the immortal words of Woody Thomas, "No more 140s in FCs!".

  Good Luck,
  Bill Wells

Garry Parsley <geparsley at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Hi all,

Recently developed a problem I'd like to bounce off all to see if I missed something or if you agree with my assessment. My 65 Brier has a 140 / PG, the pistons are forged .060 oversized, has just recently started to run rough, like on five cylinders. Thought I had a flooding carb on the left side, as indicated by head temperature, so rebuilt the offender. No difference, next changed points (pitted), condensor and coil (just to be sure). No difference. Pulled the plugs, and as suspected the left bank was extremely fouled, right bank was textbook perfect. Changed plugs and wires, still no difference. Since I'd had problems (real or imagined) in the past with the valve adjustment on the left side, I reset the valves again, just to be safe. I could not detect any problems with the valves while doing this (side-to-side, excess noise, etc.). No difference. Okay, some of the symptoms includes: as stated before it seems to be running on five cylinders. With the air breathers
off, the left side has a sound coming out of the carb that sounds like hitting a 55 gallon drum with the side of your fist. The choke pull-off on the left side chatters, while the right side is rock solid. PCV valve chatters like a woodpecker. My belief is that #2 cylinder is the offender. No difference when that plug wire is pulled. I've decided to pull the drivetrain and yank the head off for a close inspection. I haven't done a compression test yet, but intend to before the drivetrain is dropped. Before I do drop it, is there anything else y'all would recommend I try based on these symptoms? Best guess on actual problem?

Thanks,
Garry Parsley