[FC] Diagnostic confirmation update

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed May 2 15:50:03 EDT 2007

 > > I believe my next moves will be to recheck the right bank valves
and rebuild the carbs once again.

You certainly do things differently than perhaps I would, but ...

Since you offer evidence that one cylinder is laying down (#2), why do
you want to go after a problem that should affect all cylinders on a
bank?  Yeah, the valve adjustment thing always seems a great mystery,
but like was pointed out, if about the same amount of threads are
showing above each nut, you probably aren't too far off if it runs.

What about clipping your inductive timing light to each individual plug
wire in succession as a sort of spark tester?  If you have new plugs and
wires and you still have a single suspect cylinder with a good
compression check, I would suspect a vacuum leak to that single
cylinder, which may be at the welded up carb pad (perhaps the weld has
recently cracked from thermal cycling stresses) otherwise this is not
normally a situation on a Corvair with stock induction, OR perhaps the
distributor cap has moisture or cracking or simply age problems or maybe
one of the lobes on the distributor cam is worn down (joking - but do
you have good steady dwell readings?). The timing light  test should
help with further diagnostics.

Anyway, a carb problem is not likely to affect a single cylinder on a
Corvair.

Bill S