[FC] LED lamp replacements

TiM M mr_tim34 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 02:36:41 EST 2007

Here is a link to some pictures of my set up.

http://mr_tim34.winkflash.com

     I used a small
fiberglass perforated board that I cut to fit the opening in the lamp housing.
I put 25 LEDs in five rows of five. I twisted the leads together on the back of the perfboard and soldered them . I set it up so 10 LEDs light for the parking
lights and all 25 light with the brakes. The basic schematic came from a guy with an
electric Jeep that has replaced all his lights with LEDs, his web page is here:

http://www.driveev.com/jeepev/convpgs/ledlighting.php

     I had to change
the resistor values to 220 ohms for each row of five. This does waste a little
energy, but nowhere near as much as a filament does. The resistor value is
determined by the type of LEDs and the number of LEDs you have in series. I used hot glue to mount
the perf board in the lamp housing and ran a wire to ground to ensure a good
circuit. You have to replace the flasher with an electronic solid-state flasher
in order to get the blinkers to operate. The LEDs don’t pull enough current to
get the standard bimetallic flasher to flash. You can get a direct plug in
replacement at your local auto parts store.

     The picture from
behind shows the LED replacement on the passenger side with the filament bulb on
the drivers side.

     I think this set up cost
a little more than if I bought replacement LED bulbs, but the springs in the bottom of
the sockets were shot and I didn’t see any easy way to replace them.

     It works for me…..

TiM McCann  ’61 Electric Rampside