[FC] diff noise

Garry Parsley geparsley at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 28 20:55:28 EST 2007

Hi All,

Just finished the new engine, diff, and brakes in my '65 Brier and have
been test running for a few days and working out the last few bugs. Last
one haunting me is a differential howl during coast, most noticeable
when letting off the gas at highway speeds. Acceleration and steady
speeds are no problem. I've been adjusting the side bearings to bring
the ring gear tighter into the pinion, which has helped somewhat, but am
I missing anything else? I don't want to destroy anything right off the
bat, or have to pull the drivetrain again, but I sure don't want to
listen to that forever. Manual talks about the adjustments, but doesn't
say which way for which noise. Thanks.

Garry Parsley