[FC] diff noise

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Nov 29 12:03:32 EST 2007

What the other people have said so far is pretty much right on. Although if you are attempting to do something for a temporary fix then the paper trick is OK but for a permanent type repair you need to do it correctly with a dial indicator ON THE BENCH. Sorry, had to get that out of my system, I'm OK now.

?? With the symtoms that you have described, it is a pinion depth problem and will not be solved in the vehicle. I had a customer with the same symptom and it turned out to be the pinion gear loose on the pinion shaft moving back and forth. All was quiet on the drive side but as soon as he let off there was a slight whine.

?? I would very carefully look at all the paremeters including what I just mentioned. After you determine that there is nothing physically wrong with anything then start looking for other adjustment problems. First set your backlash to the loose specs using a dial indicator, (forget counting teeth and/or turns, it doesn't work as well as it should)?and check your wear pattern, from there you will be able to tell what you need to do. Remeber that the shop manual pictures are mirror images of what you really need to be seeing. They do give you the idea of what you need to be looking for.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com