[FC] brake light help

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 17:00:21 EDT 2007

I'm trying to diagnose the lack of brake lights on my '61 rampy. I believe
that they worked in the past. The switch is fine, and current comes out of it
when the pedal is pushed down. What I haven't been able to figure out is how a
 bulb with only two pos wires going into it (one for turn signals, the other
for  tail AND brakes, I assume) can have 3 functions? Does the depression of
the  pedal add extra juice to the tail light filament of the bulb, making it
brighter?

What I've found in poking around: there is a wire spliced onto the POS wire
coming out of the brake switch (which is white with a black stripe) that goes
back up to the dash...someplace. The white/black stripe wire goes back to the
 rear harness, where it was cut and capped by P/O. I cannot determine where
it  originally went; it has juice in it when pedal is depressed.

My 1961 owners manual does not have a wiring diagram for the brake lights,
but it does have a tail light diagram and turn signal diagram, and I am hooked
up correctly, both work. I need a brake light wiring diagram, I think.

Hey, I just thought of something, the brake switch probably sends juice to
both the turn signals at the same time (making using the turn signals while
braking impossible)! I recently bypassed the broken turn signal switch in favor
of a lever like on my Nash Metropolitan, so I probably missed something in
the  process. Hmm...writing these things out actually helps! Back to the
testing...........

Bill

'61 rampy
'63 greenbrier