[FC] Re: FC Front Anti-roll Bar - was (Lookiing for FC

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Fri Sep 21 13:00:27 EDT 2007

Sure there is such a thing as stress proof steel:

Stress-proof C1144
    * C1144 is made by a patented process which consists of drawing the bar through a special die under heavy draft, then stress relieving it in a precisely controlled furnace.
    * Users can now get wear-ability without case hardening, strength without heat treating, plus excellent machine-bility & tool life.
    * Other benefits include resistance to fatigue & stress, balanced working & minimum warp & distortion.
    * MetalMart.Com reserves the right to substitute an equivalent product. Stress-proof is a registered trademark of La Salle Steel.

Stress proof steel is strong but easily machined (apparently, I'd never heard of it before either) but since you wouldn't be doing a lot of machining on the sway bars, I think I'd use a nice strong alloy steel like 4340 or 4130.

mikeH