[FC] Re: FC Front Anti-roll Bar - was ...

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 22 18:37:35 EDT 2007

MikeH wrote:

>Sure there is such a thing as stress proof steel: Stress-proof C1144 ...

I'm fairly certain that our friend RonH was merely taking issue with the
[possibly implied] claim that any metal can actually be fatigue proof,
rather than saying a product commonly identifed as "stress proof" steel
doesn't exist, which it obviously does.

Technically, Ron is right, in that over time and repeated loading, all
ferrous materials suffer fatigue damage no matter what the alloy and/or
heat treatment, some more so than others.  But it certainly is easier at
the order desk to ask for "stress proof" than trying to remember to call
it that  steel bar from Niagara LaSalle that "is made by a patented
process which consists of drawing the bar through a special die under
heavy draft, then stress relieving it in a precisely controlled
furnace".  Besides, STRESSPROOF® only makes good sense when printed, and
if your supplier wants to substitute a truly equivalent product, why
quibble?  If Ken says it makes good sway bars, then I'm sure it does.
I've sure never heard of a fatigue failure on a Kelly Bar.

Bill S