[FC] Wheels

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Apr 16 13:21:07 EDT 2008

Hi Mike,

On Apr 16, 2008, at 9:55 AM, Mike Clark wrote:
> Good morning group.  Question about wheels.  I've heard that
> regular 14" wheels won't fit a Corvair FC due to some interferance
> with the tie rods.  Is this true?  Seems like an odd problem but
> I've never gotten down to look.

Yes, the stock wheels are very close to the tie rods.

> I have 15" rallys on my Rampside now, but need to take them off,
> should I just go back with another 15" rim or can I use a different
> 14" ?  Will I have problems with tires rubbing if I use 15" rims
> and standard size tires?  The tires I have now are low profile
> (which look pretty good and ride nice) .

Given tire availability, I'd stay with 15s anyway.  When you say
"standard size" I'm guessing you mean something close to the stock
width and height?  If that's the case then they will certainly fit -
all you've changed is the wheel diameter.  This, BTW, is standard
"plus" sizing.  For example, the stock 7.00-14 is approximately a
205/80-14.  If you go to a 205/70-15, it'll be about the same overall
size.  FCs will easily clear a 225 width tire, so you have some
leeway in case you want a slightly different size tire.

For more info, see this page:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html

--Bryan