[FC] Tail lights

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 12 18:02:33 EST 2008

oem FC taillight bulbs were #1034 -- 1034 were generally replaced by
1157, both in the field and and the marketplace -- I would be highly
surprised to find an operable FC with 1034's -- the stops just weren't
bright enough, even back when FCC's were new.

My 356 also has similar issues, but there I have the disadvantage of not
wanting to update the oem 6 volt electrics, and yes, there are LED
options available and being explored.

I did find that a good cleaning of the reflector and some "chrome" spray
paint greatly improved the situation -- at least you can tell when they
are on.

My previous FC was a van, and the sheer bulk and a chrome bumper helped
rear visibility, but not like decent rear lights.

Those old red lenses do seem much more opaque than what's on modern cars
(and I'm not sure that some of that isn't due to aging factors), but in
1961, average hiway speeds weren't 85 mph, either.  I know most of the
issues with the oem tail gate reflectors and lack of their availability,
but it wouldn't seem to far fetched to make a latex mold of the tail
light lens and cast up some new lenses in a more modern material.
Combined with some shinied up reflectors (note: they are called
"reflectors" for a reason) should provide improved tail light function,
even if the oem design isn't large enough.

Seems like I've seen a ricer website with info for casting your own
clear lenses so folks so inclined could have the "look".  Google could
be your friend here.

Relays, like you would do for full voltage to the  headlights, would
help reduce the voltage drop you get in going to the front of the van to
the switch and then back to the rear.

Bill Strickland