[FC] FC heat improvements

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 15:11:09 EST 2008

My Greenbrier's Fiberglass transfer box had been broken off at the crossmember somehow. The prior owner used about three rolls of 'Gorilla' duct tape to fabricate a poor replacement/connection  to the metal fan housing. Apparently, it worked for two winters in Cambridge/Boston.  I removed a complete fiberglass t-box out of a junked FC but didn't install it but used it as a template to rebuild mine out of fiberglass,bondo, &pvc gutter joints. It came out better than expected. I replaced the old fan motor with a more powerful and longer one, which fit w/o a problem. Getting a good ground was tricky. I replaced the duct taped defroster conduits with brand new ones. I also blocked the rear vent and carefully cut styrofoam pieces to channel the blower into the forward vent.  I then placed pieces of 'U' shaped styrofoam over the length of the exposed heating vent to protect the moving hot air against wind chill.  Lastly, I placed a drape and  a fitted 2 "
 thick styrofoam behind the driver's seat.  The end result is an excellent, fast defroster and the heat is better contained.  I am thinking of installing a larger battery. I have a '63 car motor with a newer alternator.  My current battery is new , but small by Maine winter standards.  Again I'm looking for a 14" , 5 lug rim to put my spare on. I have studded snows and am thinking of chains. Any advice?