[FC] FC Transverse Spring

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 22 12:30:59 EST 2008

>This is how I would build a '64-style FC rear suspension:
>1) Make sure my FC has a '64 style differential housing.

I will continue to say that the '64 diffy is not "required" to mount the
transverse spring.  It can be installed resting against the bottom to
the case and it will center just fine between the two end points.  Just
build an aluminum spacer to cover the center pin (or remove it)

>2) Obtain a set of 60-63 car rear springs.
>

>3) Obtain the '64 traverse leaf spring mounting hardware. Modify the A-arms
>to accommodate.
>4) Measure the empty rear ride height of my FC on level ground.
>5) Add 500 lbs of weight (bags of cement, Sand-in-a-Tube, etc) to the
>vehicle directly over the rear axle.  Measure ride height again to obtain
>the effective installed spring rate.
>6) Remove FC springs and install car springs.  Repeat steps #4 & 5 to
>calculate the spring rate for the car springs.
>7)  Use the difference in spring rates to determine the spring rate needed
>for a special FC transverse leaf spring.  Take this information to a spring
>shop along with a car leaf spring so they have some idea of what is needed.
>(Remember that the FC spring will need to be 2" longer)  Have them make a
>custom spring.
>8) Install the custom spring but be prepared to have a second spring made
>up in case the first one does not quite meet expectations for ride height.

Ride height can be adjusted by changing the length of the end mounting
bolt -- nothing extreme -- or the distance between the differential and
the transverse spring.  It is just a load bearing spring, nothing really
special.

I have never seen a true "camber compensator" on a Corvair -- many items
sold under that name that were just load bearing springs similar to
oem.  Same for VW and most Porsche (not Vic's bar -
http://www.356registry.org/tech/camber_compensator.html)

>9) Make sure to install an ADCCO front anti-roll bar to compensate for the
>reduced roll stiffness of the transverse leaf '64 suspension design.

The ADDCO bar, while nice and relativly economical is not the only roll
bar option available, and unfortunatley is designed only for use with a
stock suspension -- better than nothing, and something will be required ...

mo,

Bill Strickland