[FC] Car drivetrain in a FC

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 14:00:06 EST 2008

I own a 1961 Greenbrier with a '63 motor and PG. My axle is a 3.55 w/o posi. What is my disadvantage, if any, if I become stuck in snow, sliding on ice, etc... Does just one wheel drive the vehicle at all times? Or can the drive wheel switch back and forth? I was told that in posi axles both rear wheels drive the vehicle all the time. Is this so?  The reason is that my drive wheel was switching back and forth going up a slick hill.
Also, I use a tetra-ethyl lead additive called 'Max-lead 2000' out of Indiana. My motor responds much better, especially going up the numerous hills in Maine. I know many owners say its not needed but we just went to 10% ethanol and many older car owners are having fuel problems like vapor lock and constant pinging even with the timing retarded.
I also have a modified road draft tube that works very well. The previous owner grafted it onto the '63 motor.  He always used Hi-test gas and I've continued with good results after I rebuilt both my carbs. Lastly my fuel gauge only rises a little above E. Is this a bad ground?  The previous owners really cut up the wiring for his stereo, which I pulled out.