[FC] Car drivetrain in a FC

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Wed Dec 31 14:45:06 EST 2008

????? HMMMM, there are many answers to your slippery question. When you are stuck or starting out on slippery stuff, the more wheels you have driving the better to get going. But, if you are moving on a slippery surface I prefer an NON posi. Reason being is that with the posi it is more likely to induce a slide or a spin because you will lose traction on both rear wheels when they spin, not just one. It has been pointed out many times that in a Corvair, you really don't need a posi except for a very few times on the street. As you well know what has been said above is no better than the driver trying to use it. You still need a judicial right foot on the accelerator pedal.

?? As far as the lead additive, you really don't need it for the engine, unless you feel that the performance is better with it. The Corvair engine will run it's full life on no lead with no ill effects. If you pay attention to the fuel line routing and/or put an electric fuel pump in you will have little or no vapor lock problems. That being said, I had a van that I did everything that I could think of and read about to get it to stop vapor locking. The only cure was a full time electric fuel pump up front. Also I have had several FC's that didn't need anything special for fuel delivery.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com