[FC] <VV> Rampside Engine cover & flat flloor conv.

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 16:13:41 EST 2008

J R Read_HML wrote:

> I only recall seeing clutch head bolts with no washers (ok screws).
> However, I'm looking at page 269 of Parts and Accessories catalog
> effective 2/1/61.  That shows N.L. Screw Hex Washer HD. TAP (# 14-10 X
> 3/4).  It is pictured as a hex head with a straight slot.  Also shown
> is a washer - (group # ?) 8.932 - and described as 1/4 internal. ...
> The page is titled Forward Control Engine Compartment Cover.

nearly identical to my '72 book -- pg 16-6P,  61-65 Corvair F. C. Engine
Compartment Cover, ©1970

I just figured that since mine also shows the hex washer head label
(clearly pictured as such) , that it was just obsolete by '72, but if
yours shows it too, I find that rather interesting -- maybe they adopted
the clutch heads after the '61 book was printed?  I have never seen
anything else that looked original, except the clutch heads -- 'Briers,
vans, and rampys.

And yes, I have also seen large clutch head machine screws (bolts) on GM
rigs.  I sorta can recall the doors on one Cameo p/u held on with them
-- I had to bring the driver bit for the impact into work from home, iirc.

Looking at this stuff reminds me -- was the flat floor conversion ever
offered as a factory option, or was it always dealer/owner installed?

I like Keith's piano hinge, gas shock, electric release idea ... yeah!

Bill