[FC] Hard starting

Steven steven at sashimi.org
Sat Jul 5 13:38:53 EDT 2008

Twice now since I've owned my Rampside, a little more than a year now, I have had difficulty starting.  Normally it starts right up.  Both times I had the difficulty it was after about three weeks of not starting the truck.  It cranks fine.  It's as if it's not getting any gas even though there's gas in the tank.  Both times I had to pour some gas into the carbs and after doing that it starts.  Once started it runs fine and I have no more problems starting that day, the next, or even after going a week or so not starting it.

I can understand that the gas in the carb might evaporate over two or three weeks but I'd think that pumping the accelerator and cranking it would eventually get the gas pumping to the carbs.

What causes this problem and is there anything short of an electric fuel pump to fix it (other than doing what I'm doing or starting the engine every week)?

Thanks,

Steve Brown

Media, PA

'62 Rampside