[FC] metal work

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 18:36:06 EDT 2008

If your plan is to solder the butted seams forget about it.  Lead on a thin outside edge won't last before it cracks loose.  Proper welding, or brazing is what you need.  However, if you can build it with lapped seams you could solder it.  Try to make your patterns have as many bends and as few seams as possible.  When you are done with fabricating your tank take it to a radiator shop to pressure test it.  Or you can seal it and immerse it under water.  Bubbles equal leaks. The eastwood would have the body solder you are referring to though.  You'll also need flux, paddle and tallow.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1681&itemType=PRODUCT

If you are unsure about your welding skills, pattern the tank, cut all the pieces, tack them together and then take them to a good welding shop to get fully welded.  It WILL be cheaper than buying all those body solder supplies.

Andrew

Good luck.