[FC] metal work

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Tue Jul 8 19:52:32 EDT 2008

??? The sweating that you are refering to for copper pipes probably will not work with your sheetmetal unless you form a "J" lock of some sort, very dificult to do. The process that you see for the car is probably at the top seam and there is some pretty thick metal right there and it can get pretty warm without warping. Also what they are doing is heating the lead, not solder, to a cooler temp that is just barely in the plastic stage and then sort of smearing it into and onto the area that needs to be smoothed. This is just a rough verbal sketch of the process, but I think you get the idea.

??? Now, I think there are plans and/or pics on the Corvanatic web site of a SS gas tank.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com