[FC] metal work

noahsarkinc noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 8 20:48:56 EDT 2008

The process is to rough up the base metal with a grinder, and then heat and
"tin" with acid core 50/50 solder.  Then you wipe a dry cloth across the
molten solder to give the entire surface a tinned bonding surface.  After
that you use body solder, 30%tin 70% lead, and heat and paddle it with a
maple paddle and bees wax to spread it.  You have to get the body solder
just warm enough to work, but not so hot that it runs.  It takes a long
time to learn the proper technique, and if you don't do it all the  time,
you will never become proficient at doing a lead job.  This is where the
original term "lead sled" comes from.  The old body men were very good at
applying body solder, and then they would sculp it with a body file.  The
factory used a hot spray method of applying body solder to seams, and then
it was worked by the people on the line to get the proper contours.  Today,
it is all but a lost art for the most part.  I learned how to do it in 1962,
and by 1964, Bondo was taking over for doing lead jobs.   Paul in CT