[FC] FC Metal Work (gas tank)

vair65 at netzero.net vair65 at netzero.net
Tue Jul 8 21:34:28 EDT 2008

All this talk of soldering, welding a gas tank, why?  I wrote a tech tip for newsletter that was published just a few months ago on building a new Stainless Steel gas tank.  I personally would not want a tank made from sheet metal and had joints soldered together.  A better method of fabrication for automotive aftermarket gas tanks is to use aluminum or stainless steel and have fully welded joints.
Pressure testing of the tank?  Be careful here, your new gas tank may pillow if you put to much air in it.  Mine was simply tested using water and a hose of some length to give height to water column (tested to inches of water column) and the tank supported in a similiar fashion as to how it will be installed.  This will test for static loading only, not a dynamic load (like going over a bump and fuel is sloshing).
If making your own design you need to select your "sheet metal" gauge carefully.  To thin and it will not support the weight of the gas, to thick and it will be to heavy for strap support.  You also will need to attach a fill tube, vent tube, and pickup tube some how.
If you need further assistance or more information on my stainless steel gas tank (uses the FC pickup and gas gage except bolted instead of cam) feel free to contact me.  My design is for the same location and general shape of the original gas tank.  Pictures are on WebShots, search for FC gas tank.
Good luck.
Keith Hammett
Stainless Steel Pressure Vessel Design Engineer
PS send email to khammett at stainlessfab.com  I might still have the patterns saved at work.