[FC] Oil Pan Leak Woes

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 26 12:37:52 EDT 2008

Oil leaks always show up first as oil dripping from the bottom of the
engine -- you can blame gravity and the Corvair's down draft fan for
that one.  It sounds like one of your efforts should have sealed any pan
leaks, and I could easily be wrong without going out to check, but I
don't think any of the pan bolt holes should be open to oil.  Probably
leaking from higher up and running down -- a leak as bad as you seem to
describe should be pretty easy to find.  Worst case could be a cracked
bell housing, but much more likely are bell housing bolting issues, or
pehaps, as Dale mentioned, a top cover leak.

Permatex is not the solution and, although there are numerous different
products in the Permatex line, the only places on a Corvair engine where
a sealant should be needed to prevent leaks are between the case halves,
under the cylinder barrels, the dipstick and oil fill tubes, the oil
pressure sender, and the crank bolts.  The rest of the places are what
the gaskets are for, although judicious use of silicone rtv products can
be useful or they can be used to replace gaskets in some instances.  And
yes, there are issues with sealing the top cover, but no one solution
seems to have universal acceptance.

Bill Strickland