[FC] ride height

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 23:55:43 EDT 2008

 ??? There is an art to cutting springs and making them fit properly. If you cut to much of a coil off or not enough then the spring does not fit in the pocket properly. When the spring does not fit in the pocket then there usually are side forces put on the spring and will make it bow, then the spring rubs on something making it squeak or a grinding sound as it probably is rubbing inside the spring tower. Another spot this happens is when the spring is? not cut on the correct clock, the spring will bind on the long end because there is a depression where the spring is supposed to sit in. There is one top and bottom, that is why the spring has to be cut to the correct clock position. You can go 1/2 coil shorter but never any longer. When the spring is cut you then need to reshape the end of the spring so the end of the spring isn't just sort of sticking out in free air but bent to a flat for about a 1/2 coil.

??? So, when someone says they can cut springs for you, ask them what they know about springs.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com