[FC] pulling to the left when braking 3....

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun May 18 20:19:07 EDT 2008

>My Greenbrier is pulling to the left again - just a brief history - started in the fall of 2007 ...

And before that?  I.e., did you buy the brier in the summer of '07 or
have you had it for fifteen years, driving it regularly, doing nothing
to it, and it starts this pulling out of the clear blue?

It does seem like you have replaced everything that would be the likely
culprit, but either you haven't replaced the defect that caused the
problem, or the new parts you used were similarly defective (like
unmatched bore diameters in the wheel cylinders), or similarly
incorrectly installed (like a secondary shoe in the front, perhaps just
like the old ones came off).

Other than the possible wheel cylinder issue, generally you are talking
about contaminated linings, hardware issues, or bad hoses.  Since, I
assume, they bled fine when all this was completed, the steel crossover
brake line shouldn't be plugged.  You didn't install a dual master
cylinder and hook the front brakes to separate/different circuits did you?

I really don't see how the bake drums could cause the problem,
especially since you have swapped them side to side, nor would I think
the wheel bearings would be an issue, unless they are bad in other ways.
Have you swapped tires?

Now, there are a couple things you could do to help tell what is going
on -- you and a reliable (sighted) friend need to take the brier to a
gravel parking lot or such -- gravel road, gravel driveway, etc --
gravel, or maybe if you still have some ice around, ... easy to leave
skid marks in gravel though -- and by repeated brake application you
need to figure out whether the left front is grabbing or the right front
is not working.  Possibly a problem in the rears, but not as likely,
which is good because there is less stuff in the front to cause issues.
What happens in reverse?

Bill Strickland