[FC] "Best practices" engine lid hinges/support

ken kcaskey2 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 17:05:36 EST 2008

Hi David;  Welcome.  I'm a fairly new member her myself.  I have a '63
Rampside and built my own hinges and they are hidden.  When the engine lid
is lifted it comes to rest about 95 degrees.  Which means it stays open by
itself and does not need to have any type of springs or gas shocks to keep
it open while working on the engine.  I have made my own recess in the
engine cover just like the one on the battery box lid only a little larger
and deeper so you can get you fingers in easier and get a better grip to
lift the much larger and heavier engine lid.  I did use an extra battery box
lid latch and it all worked out quite well and looks very "factory"

If any of you are interested I would be happy to e-mail pictures of the
final results.

A word of warning though--It was not easy.  The design of the hidden hinge
was a bear and the mounts were tricky because where they have to go the
Rampside is not "square" and you have to figure some angled shims to get the
geometry right.  I have a restoration shop with many years in fabricating
all manner of "gimmicks and tricks" for the street rods and customs and I
too thought it would have been easier than it actually turned out to be!

Good luck, Ken C