[FC] Serial #s and State Registration

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 4 12:07:45 EST 2008

I was living in NH in the early 1960's, and my 1963 Spyder was registered as
a 1962, since it was manufactured in October 1962.  Had it been made in
January 1963, then it would have been registered as a 1963.  All this had to
do with how vehicles were taxed.  Vehicles were depreciated each year, so
the tax amount would go down.  Many states then and now, tax vehicles as
"property tax", and you keep paying on the value.  In CT, my 1964 Spyder
would be valued at $15,000 and taxed at $18 per thousand dollars of value,
if I didn't have collector plates on it.  With collector plates, the value
is a fixed $500, or $9 tax per year.
Paul in CT