[FC] clutch cable question

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Wed Nov 5 21:09:10 EST 2008

I know we had the recent discussion concerning clutch cables and  assemblies,
but I don't recall information on this particular problem:

My rampside isn't engaging the clutch very well, even with all the slack in
the cable taken up, and I can visibly see that the cable is pulling the
fork/pin/rod/whatever out of the tranny. On inspection, I noticed that there are  a
few stranded wires at the front of the cable that bunch up and prevent the
last 1/8th inch of exposed cable from entering the sheathing. Someone mentioned
 that the cable needs to travel 3/4" at the rear to actuate the clutch, and I
 measured my travel to be about 1/2" (not with calipers, but an assistant and
a  measuring tape, so I could be off 1/16th either way).

So, even though the cable has been adjusted to the end of the adjustment
capability, with slack removed PLUS another 1/2" or more, pulling the
fork/pin/rod/whatever out of the tranny more before clutch pedal is  even depressed; is
there some floating point in the clutch that requires  3/4" of travel,
regardless of starting point? I would have thought that  adjusting the starting point
of the travel would have corrected the problem. An  old-car mechanic friend
said it might be the throwout bearing? We had Mel's  Vairmart put in a new
clutch about 15,000 miles / 3-4 years ago. Shifting  ability wasn't instantly bad,
but it was a rapid decline over the  last few months and 1000 miles.

Any thoughts?

Bill
Richmond CA
61 rampside