[FC] Forward Motor Mount (Powertrain) Replacement

Scott & Cyndi Wilson scwilson8126 at wowway.com
Tue Oct 14 23:29:43 EDT 2008

I recently noticed that the engine/powertrain on my Rampside was leaning toward the passenger side.
Upon closer inspection, the passenger side forward motor/powertrain mount has rusted thorough right around the round part leaving the mounting flange still bolted to the rear crossmember.

I'm pretty sure that there is enough room to remove/replace the motor/powertrain mount without removing the powertrain, but I'm not sure about the right way to remove the bolts/nuts and old mount.  As you might have guessed, the bolts/nuts on the old mount flange look very rusty.

My first thought was to chisel/break the bolts off but from the FC assembly manual it looks like one or both of the bolts are secured by weld-nuts up inside the crossmember.  I'm concerned that I would end up with broken bolts still remaining in the crossmember weld nuts.  I could also buy/rent an oxy-acetylene torch to try to free the bolts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott Wilson

'63 Rampside 4-Sp