[FC] Forward Motor Mount (Powertrain) Replacement

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Wed Oct 15 01:05:34 EDT 2008

      First off the forward mounts that are mounted to the cross member
are bolted. You should be able to cut the nut off and have the mount in
your hand when it falls off.

     Well, I'm sort of getting ahead of myself here. Jack up the trans
and diff hold them up with a jack stand at the diff or trans. Remove
the trans cross member to gain access to the rubber mounts, then cut
the bolts and off falls the mounts.

    On a car it can be VERY difficult to get a new nut on top of the lip
of the cross member. All it takes is a finger to hold it while you get
the bolt started and then use the impact to tighten everything. It's
been a while since I have done an FC but I will look at the one in the
garage tomorrow and see what it takes then report back here unless
someone has already given a definitive answer.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com