[FC] wheel rims - long

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Fri Sep 12 16:48:08 EDT 2008

At 21:53 9/11/2008 -0700, rmoulton at email.arizona.edu wrote:

>I am in the process of purchasing a 1962 Corvair van. It runs but
>understandably
>needs some work. In additional to the tune up and such, it's going to need
>tires
>right away. What's the recommended tire size for this vehicle?

Unfortunately the answer depends upon what you have now and what you want.

First make sure to check all of the wheels on the van for size and back
spacing.  The stock FC wheel is 14 X 5. Note that the width is measured
between tire bead sealing surfaces, not the outer edge of the
wheel.  Several of the FC's I have collected over the years have had
different wheels swapped on. One Greenbrier I bought for parts came with
one 14 X 5 wheel with nubs for full wheel covers, one 14 X 5 wheel with no
nubs, a 14 X 5.5 wheel and a 14 X 6 wheel.

Do you want to stay stock with 14 X 5 wheels?  If so, the largest P-metric
size tire that will work on a 5" wide rim is P195/75R14. To me, this is a
marginally small tire (load rating) and is smaller than the original
7.00-14 in diameter.  The P205/75R14 size is closer to stock in both
diameter and load rating, but most manufacturers specify these for a 5.5"
or wider rim.  If you have or can get 14 X 5.5 or 14 X 6 wheels that fit
(check for interference with the front tie rod) then the P205/75R14 is and
easy choice.

>Given it's
>payload I am thinking it may need a higher rated tire such as those that go on
>VW vans.

There is merit in considering the 185R14 or 195R14 special load rated tires
used on VW's, as these will fit on the stock 5" rim.  Tim Schwartz of New
Jersey has experience with these and highly recommends them.  There is some
useful reading at this site: http://www.busdepot.com/details/tires.jsp
I notice also that TireRack sells the Yokohama Y356 in 195/75R14 load range
D (1710lbs) for $84ea

>  Also the spare rim is missing. What rims will work on this? Are they
>the same as the Corvair cars?

No, the Corvair car uses a 13 X 5.5 wheel.  Someone on this list might be
able to set you up with the correct stock wheels.

Please email me privately if you want to consider 15" wheels.  I currently
have our '65 Greenbrier set up with 215/65R15 tires on 15 X 6 wheels.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI