[FC] 3 vs. 4 speed

steven at sashimi.org steven at sashimi.org
Wed Sep 17 23:16:15 EDT 2008

Original Message:
-----------------
Dennis PLEAU ddpleau at msn.com wrote:
<snip>
I don't remember what year your have, but the 61 through early 63 shifter
is commonly reffered to as a mystery shifter for a good reason.
<end snip>

Just add gas and stir!

But seriously, it's not that bad once you get used to the unusual shifting
geometry.  (Although second gear is quite a reach)

- Steve B.

'62 Rampside 3sp

> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:23:16 -0700> From: rmoulton at email.arizona.edu>
To: corvanatics at corvair.org> Subject: [FC] 3 vs. 4 speed> > OK so the shift
patterns are as I thought. I thought they may have used the same> speedo
insert. Thanks for the info on this. My guess is it's got a 3-speed, but>
there is a fair bit of slop in the shifter so I'll just need to play around
w/> it. Right now it takes a fair bit of accelerator to get it going. It
may be> that I'm catching second or it may have more to do w/ the engine
needing a good> tune up. Clarks didn't have a original knob new or used but
they did find me a> walnut one for $1.60. The price was right and some
shift knob is better than no> shift knob. It has a four speed pattern on
it, so if the van is a 3-spd it> should add to the confusion. I guess it
will make it more difficult to steal:)> > Bob