[FC] 3 vs. 4 speed

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Thu Sep 18 09:55:19 EDT 2008

??? You can easily look at the trans and see what it is. If there is a sheet metal side cover bolted on with a plug in it then you have a 4 speed, if you don't see a cover on the side and there is one on the top and it is trapezoidal in shape then you have a 3 speed.

?? As far as shifting goes, it takes a little getting used to but you can learn to find all the gears very quickly even with a mystery shifter. If you get a new pin for the rear and weld up the holes and re-drill I bet that you lose half the slop. Then if you want the rest of the slop gone, send me the shifter and I will repair it so the slop is gone there also. I would need the shifter and the front shifter shaft hoop and the socket that the shifter fits into.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com