[FC] Upgrades needed to tow with FC.

David Houston judgehouston at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 21 13:13:25 EDT 2008

In January, 2008 I purchased a 1963 FC Greenbrier/ camper from Arizona that had the entire drivetrain, brakes, and wiring harness rebuilt and upgraded to tow with a class 2 hitch in the mountains as well  as the desert. It even has an Altimeter and long range CB. The original motor was replaced with a beefed up 1962 FC motor with draft tube, rebuilt PG with the LARGEST transmission oil cooler I've ever seen, and a reworked 3:89 axle. A dual master cylinder with HD brake shoes all around. An Otto ribbed oil pan was installed. The shrouds over the exhaust manifolds were removed for better cooling. This owner towed a small Scotty type camper, with gear inside totalling about 2000 lbs without any problems. His single axle camper didn't have brakes. The new brake system in the van works well. You don't want to go faster than 50 mph. I also find adding a tetra ethyl additive to the gasoline keeps the combustion chambers much cooler.