[FC] Oil additive??

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Sun Sep 28 23:50:31 EDT 2008

????? OK, For all here, there was a very good oil article by Bob Helt. I have also kept up on the oil issue for our Corvairs and it boils down to this, you can run any oil that does not have the "energy conserving" seal on the label. That equates out to any 10W-40 and heavier oil. 5W-30 is "energy conserving" and therefore does not have the "Zinc" added to that oil. The other oils, 10W-40 and heavier, have reduced zinc from what it used to be but still enough for our FC's and cars with flat tappet engines.

??? The next time you are in a store go look at the oil bottles. On any 5W-30 and thinner oil you will see the "energy conserving" seal. Compare that to a 10W-40 oil bottle and you will see what I mean.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com