[FC] Damage w/o ZDDP & '63 car motor in '63 FC...potential problems?

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Mon Sep 29 15:36:10 EDT 2008

At 09:03 9/29/2008 -0700, David Houston wrote:
>This spring I witnessed motor failure in my friend's '66 110 using the
>'energy conserving' 10w-30. He drove many highway miles daily and his
>valves disintergrated. I thought it was the unleaded fuel. Until it was
>shown that ZDDP was no longer in the oil. I've since been getting my
>supply from Eastwood in PA.

How exactly did his valves "disintegrate"?  Did the seats and valve edges
wear so that they no longer held compression? Did the guides wear out? ZDDP
really only helps prevent cam and lifter wear and helps with the push
rod/rocker arm/ball/valve tip mechanism.

>My next point of inquiry is what potential problems could I expect from
>using an 80 hp car motor in my FC? Other than the oil tube, it looks the
>same, but I know the FC engine is built sturdier.

About the only thing different on the 80hp FC engine is valve rotators and
the larger 8-plate (folded fin?--please correct) oil cooler.  Your car
engine, if in good repair, should work fine without the valve rotators, but
I would suggest swapping in an 8-plate, 12-plate or folded fin oil cooler.

>   I'm adding ZDDP to my oil which stopped the foaming in the oil. I have
> a PG with a 3:55 axle ratio. I run on Hi-test and rebuilt both carbs.

High octane fuel should not be necessary for the low compression 80hp engine.

>  I'm afraid to go faster than 50 mph, because the motor seems to be
> straining but not running too hot! Any advice?

If it is not running hot, then you should be fine.  The 80/PG/3.55 combo is
not going to have a surplus of power, but it should be able to do 55-60 MPH
or better on level ground in still air.

>BTW I put 15" Chev Caprice rims on my front axle and they fit perfect. The
>suspension doesn't hit. Would a '63 FC be stable with narrow 15" radials
>all around (205/65-15)?
>Thanks

I have 215/65R15 tires (a popular minivan size) on our Greenbrier on 15X6
wheels. The fit and stability is great.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI