[FC] , rampy covers, MY UPDATE kinda windy

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sun Jul 26 19:02:27 EDT 2009

my cover survived a lot of extreme use. i had the canvas  remade  once.
both were done by a marine canvas guy that did extensive (expensive!) work  on
several of my boats over the years. the object of this job was minimum
damage  to the truck and versatility . i wanted protection for luggage in the
rear  raised area , and still have full use of the ramp area. by hinging the
cover in  2 places , we had a good support in the middle of about 20 inches or
so, the  front folded back over the rear and stayed put on its own. i could
still raise  the rear part if needed while the front was open (but it was
heavy for ME) so it  worked out for me.  i had marine bows in it fastened to
the frame. where i  went wrong , was no attaching loops or flaps on the
canvas to hold it to the  bows.  this caused the bows to wear thru the canvas
after several thousand  miles. i still have the frame in my shed , but it
would only be a pattern of  sorts now. it served me well for about 20 years , so
i cant gripe.    new goal has to be 1: simple!  2:  CHEAP!  3:  do the
intended job looking presentable.
my present dream is to make a fiberglass cover for the rear part only ,
using remnants of factory covers i picked up from the local auto parts
recyclers  (free if damaged!). i now have 2 here waiting for my attention.
i certainly will keep you posted with lots of pictures. it will tax my
abilities , but not my wallet.
this is my true story so far.
from the shop of dreams in Memphis N.Y.
you can sometimes track my dreams on the cnycorvair.com website. also some
pictures of my sordid past dreams are at  _http://www.corvair.de/n2vzd/_
(http://www.corvair.de/n2vzd/)
regards, tim colson
steps!